Every July 24, International Self-Care Day is celebrated, to promote and maintain our physical and mental health, taking care of ourselves. This day invites us to promote healthy lifestyles, today and every day.
The initiative of this international day has been promoted by the World Federation of the Self-Care Industry (WSMI), with the aim of spreading self-care through the application of daily care tips and recommendations.
According to a report issued by the World Health Organization (WHO) in 2015, responsible self-care can prevent cases of heart attacks and type 2 diabetes by 75%, as well as reduce cases of cancer by 40%.
How can we promote self-care?
Some recommendations about self-care, in order to apply them permanently to our daily lives:
- Balanced and healthy diet. Promote the Atlantic diet and local foods.
- Consume vegetables, greens and fruits. Reduce sugar and salt intake in meal preparation.
- Recognize our achievements and reward us for the progress made.
- Practice some sport or physical activity daily.
- Accept constructive criticism, which contributes to our growth as people. Emotional well-being.
- Sleep between 6 to 8 hours a day.
- Maintain good personal hygiene habits.
- Encourage social interaction, socialize, meet friends.
- Go to the doctor regularly.
- Avoid harmful habits such as the consumption of tobacco and cigarettes, narcotic substances, consumption of fast and ultra-processed food.